For over seventy years Advanced Plating Technologies has been providing engineered solutions in metal finishing for our customers. Regardless of the industry, finish or application the principle topics surrounding the art and science of metal finishing remain constant. Provided below are eight finishing topics that are central to the metal finishing industry. Select on any of the questions to learn more regarding the specific finishing topic. We hope you find this information a useful resource and value any feedback you may have.
- What causes metals to oxidize or “rust”?
- What type of plating should be selected and how much plating thickness is required to prevent rusting or corrosion of my product?
- Why is a Heavier Nickel or Tin Deposit Required to Provide Equal Corrosion Protection of a Thinner Zinc Coating on Steel?
- How do I stop post-plate tarnishing of my product?
- My passivated “stainless” steel product is exhibiting corrosion, how can this be prevented?
Plating and Underplate Selection
- Why should bright tin not be used for solderability?
- What type of nickel plating should I use for my application, watts, bright or sulfamate?
- What type of tin plating should I use for my application?
- How do I make a solderable deposit?
- Why should I use gold or silver on my contact system?
Plating Thickness and Uniformity
- What is the difference between an average, range or minimum plating thickness specification and how do I properly call out my thickness requirement on a print?
- Why is the plating thickness on my product non-uniform?
- Where should I measure the deposit thickness?
- What causes plating to “flake” or loose adhesion and what can be done to ensure proper adhesion of a plated layer?
- How is the adhesion of plated layers on products measured?
Aesthetics and Appearance
- How do I obtain a bright and reflective finish on my product?
- How do I prevent darkening of a nickel deposit over steel when baking?
- Why are there cosmetic disclaimers on my quote for functional or matte finishes such as copper or tin/lead?
- Why is there a rust disclaimer on my quote for commercial nickel or tin plating on a ferrous component?
Gold and Silver Price Fluctuation
- Why does the cost of my gold-plated and silver-plated parts change?
- What is the gold (silver) adder and how does it affect the price to plate my gold (silver) part?
Hydrogen Embrittlement and Baking
Environmental Issues and Compliance
- What is RoHS Compliance and How Does it Apply to the Finishing of My Product?
- What is REACH Compliance and How Does it Apply to the Finishing of My Product?
- A Discussion of Metal Finishing & Environmental Stewardship
- LOD, LOQ, MDL, and PQL: The Driving Force of the Next Generation of Regulations
If you have a quote request, submit it from our request for quote page. If you prefer, you can contact our technical sales group email: [email protected]