For over sixty-five years Advanced Plating Technologies has been providing engineered solutions in metal finishing for our customers. Regardless of the industry, finish or application the principle topics surrounding the art and science of metal finishing remain constant. Provided below are eight finishing topics that are central to the metal finishing industry. Select on any of the questions to learn more regarding the specific finishing topic. We hope you find this information a useful resource and value any feedback you may have.
- What causes metals to oxidize or “rust”?
- What type of plating should be selected and how much plating thickness is required to prevent rusting or corrosion of my product?
- Why is a Heavier Nickel or Tin Deposit Required to Provide Equal Corrosion Protection of a Thinner Zinc Coating on Steel?
- How do I stop post-plate tarnishing of my product?
- My passivated “stainless” steel product is exhibiting corrosion, how can this be prevented?
- How do I obtain a bright and reflective finish on my product?
- How do I prevent darkening of a nickel deposit over steel when baking?
- Why are there cosmetic disclaimers on my quote for functional or matte finishes such as copper or tin/lead?
- Why is there a rust disclaimer on my quote for commercial nickel or tin plating on a ferrous component?