Advanced Plating Technologies provides precision ultrasonic cleaning services within a wide range of industries including the medical, dental, electronic, telecommunication and heavy equipment industries. Ultrasonic cleaning excels at removing chips and cutting oils from machining operations and can clean interior cavities and blind holes much more effectively than traditional cleaning methods. In addition, ultrasonic cleaning services can be utilized in combination with other more traditional cleaning methods including electrocleaning and vapor degreasing to provide a custom cleaning protocol tailored to the specific application.
Advanced Plating Technologies currently provides a wide range of ultrasonic cleaning services utilizing both piezoelectric and magnetostrictive ultrasonic units with variable frequencies and intensities. The solvent and/or aqueous cleaners employed are custom matched to the specific alloy and soiling level to ensure the most effective cleaning process. Multi-stage hot deionized water rinses after ultrasonic cleaning can also be used to provide the cleanest possible surface.
Ultrasonic cleaning services are an integral part of Advanced Plating Technologies precision passivation of titanium and medical alloys. When passivating critical medical alloys the cleaning, passivating and rinsing steps can all incorporate ultrasonic generation. These techniques ensure the most precise passivation processes possible especially on micro parts with blind or thru-hole features. Custom packaging services including vacuum or nitrogen sealed packaging can be provided to complement our ultrasonic cleaning services.
Ultrasonic cleaning involves the use of high-frequency sound waves between 18-80 kHz that are generated by means of an external transducer unit. The sound waves form micron-size (0.00004 inch) bubbles within the solution that grow due to the alternation of the ultrasonic waves. The bubbles increase in size until they reach a resonant dimension that is a function of the frequency of the ultrasonic transducer.
Once the bubble reaches the resonant size it will cavitate or implode at the surface of a part held within the cleaning unit. The cavitation of the tiny bubbles is what makes ultrasonic cleaning so powerful. The pressures during the cavitation event can approach 50,000 psi with significantly elevated local temperatures. The implosion event is on such a small scale that no physical damage to the object being cleaned occurs.
The imploding “scrubbing bubbles” of the ultrasonic process greatly enhance the efficacy of the cleaning solution used with ultrasonic units. The surfactants or wetting agents reduce the surface tension of the water, enabling more effective wetting of the part, and the detergents bind the soils once removed from the surface of the part. The cleaning systems utilized are largely a function of the metal being cleaned with proprietary inhibitors used on delicate amphoteric metals such as aluminum or zinc. A finishing engineer at APT can recommend a cleaner and ultrasonic cleaning protocol to match your specific alloy and cleaning application.
Advanced Plating Technologies provides expertise in ultrasonic cleaning services to fulfill even the most demanding applications. Our team of metal finishing engineers can custom tailor an ultrasonic cleaning protocol to fulfill even the most demanding applications. The following points highlight why Advanced Plating Technologies is a leader in ultrasonic cleaning services:
- Diversity of substrates: Advanced Plating Technologies provides ultrasonic cleaning services on nearly any metallic substrate including copper & copper alloys such as beryllium, chromium and tellurium coppers, hardened and alloyed steels, stainless steels, Inconels, Hastalloys, Monels, ductile & cast iron and even plastics. Cleaning solutions are matched to the specific alloy grade based upon years of cleaning experience.
- Small and Demanding Geometries: Advanced Plating Technologies specializes in ultrasonic cleaning services on miniature and implantables parts employed within the medical and dental industries. Multi-cell ultrasonic cleaning systems can be used to provide sonic generation in all steps of the cleaning and rinsing process.
- RoHS and REACH Compliance: Advanced Plating Technologies is at the forefront of environmental compliance and can certify our ultrasonic cleaning services as needed to the current RoHS, ELV and REACH regulations.
- Competitive Pricing: Competitive pricing in ultrasonic cleaning services is paramount to gaining and maintaining our customers in today’s competitive global marketplace.
- Reliable Lead Times: With inventories leaner than ever, dependable turn-around is a core competency that we value highly ensure the service our customers need in ultrasonic cleaning services.
Value Added: Advanced Plating Technologies prides itself in meeting the customer’s needs. Whether it’s custom engineering packaging, vacuum or nitrogen sealed packaging to enhance storage, Kanban inventory management or light subassembly– APT will work with you to ensure we meeting your needs in ultrasonic cleaning services.