Powder Coating Services (Company) – Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Advanced Plating Technologies, a Milwaukee, Wisconsin company, offers powder coating services for demanding applications including high cosmetics and selective powder coating. APT specializes in challenging powder coating services on smaller to mid-size products with high aesthetic, selective powder paint or functional performance requirements. Our company provides extensive expertise in selective powder coating services utilizing standard, proprietary and custom molded masking techniques. Advanced Plating Technologies powder coating services are currently employed within the Milwaukee, Wisconsin market and beyond in numerous industries including the medical, defense, marine, power distribution, agricultural and food processing industries.
Advanced Plating Technologies can offer your company numerous pretreatment options with our powder coating services including vapor degreasing, iron or zinc phosphate of steel products, passivation of stainless steel products or chromate conversion coating of aluminum products to enhance the overall corrosion performance of the powder coating system. Mechanical polishing or graining of basis materials as well as chemical etching of products can be provided to enhance coating adhesion.
Advanced Plating Technologies currently services the Milwaukee, Wisconsin market with powder coating services from all major powder suppliers including Dupont (Axalta), Rohm & Haas (Akzo Nobel), PPG, Cardinal and Tiger Drylac. All thermoplastic and thermoset resin systems can be provided including epoxy, polyesters, urethanes or hybrids. Specific cure cycles of each powder can be monitored and certified using a DATA PAQ temperature profiling system. Our company offers powder coating services in a wide range of stock colors or custom-match powder can be developed through our rapid prototyping department.
Powder coating is a “green” dry-applied paint process that does not utilize a liquid solvent for application, resulting in zero volatile organic emissions. During application the dry powder paint is fed via compressed air through an application system. The spray gun imparts a strong electric charge on the powder particles as they exit the spray nozzle. The powder is accelerated toward the grounded work piece due to the applied electrostatic charge.
Coated parts are then processed through a cure oven where the dry powder cures and transitions from a dry state to a liquid state to a fully cured solid state. The specific cure cycle of the powder depends on the powder used but generally takes between fifteen to thirty minutes. Typical cure temperatures range from 275F for low-cure powders to as high as 450F.
Powder coating services have several advantages over traditional wet spray painting as follows:
- Powder coating can produce much thicker coatings without drips, runs or sags compared to conventional wet-spray paint. Typical single-layer powder coating thickness ranges from 0.001 to 0.004 inches. Double coat applications can achieve thicknesses as high as 0.010 inches. Greater mil thickness coatings equate to better corrosion and wear performance.
- Baked powder coatings are generally tougher and more resilient to impact than traditional wet spray paints.
- Powder coating is a green process that does not use volatile organic compounds for application. Powder coating produces virtually no hazardous waste.
The specific powder properties are fully a function of the powder being used. Each resin system has specific advantages and disadvantages. Click on the chart below for a qualitative comparison between performance characteristics of the various powder resin systems.
In order for a powder coating to perform as the manufacturer intended, it must be properly cured based upon the cure cycle recommended by the powder OEM. Powder paint is applied in a powder state and transitions to a liquid and finally to a cured solid based upon the thermal cycle that the product is exposed to during baking. If the powder sees either insufficient temperature/time or excessive temperature/time in the oven – its corrosion performance, mechanical and cosmetic properties will be compromised.
The mass and material of the product being powder coated greatly affects the specific cure cycle. For example, a large, massive iron casting will require a longer dwell time as compared to a thin aluminum stamping to achieve an equivalent cure. This is because large products with significant mass will have a longer thermal lag to come to temperature within the oven. What matters in curing paint is the temperature of the part surface, not just the temperature of the oven. A proper cure cycle is critical to providing quality powder coating services and consistent processing from lot to lot.
Advanced Plating Technologies develops a quantified thermal profile and powder cure cycle for each part processed as part of the product qualification. To develop this thermal profile a Datapaq temperature logger is run with each product where various thermocouples are placed on the actual product being coated and the temperature/time profile is logged electronically. This data is then recorded with cure cycle analysis software developed by Datapaq to provide a final cure value of the powder. Datapaq is the leading supplier of cure software for the industrial coatings market and Advanced Plating Technologies has utilized their technology since its advent in the early 1980s. An example cure curve is provided below as well as a brochure of one of the Datapaq systems used by our company.
Advanced Plating Technologies provides powder coating services in Milwaukee, Wisconsin and beyond to fulfill even the most demanding applications. From prototyping and PPAP qualification to full production processing – through the dedicated effort of our company, it is our goal to exceed your expectations. The following points highlight why Advanced Plating Technologies is a leading company and service provider of powder coating:
- Selective Powder Coating Experts: Advanced Plating Technologies offers unmatched masking expertise in selective powder paint and has developed propriety methods and techniques to mask even the most demanding applications. Numerous current products are coated with over twenty masks per unit. From the simplest tape mask to the most demanding custom molded silicon mask, APT offers the expertise and engineering background to meet even the most demanding requirements.
- Finesse Techniques: Advanced Plating Technologies offers specialized finesse techniques in powder coating services to remove minor imperfections in powder-coated products. This ensures the highest quality finish available in the industry today.
- Pretreatment Options: Many job shops in the Milwaukee, Wisconsin market only offer one multistage pretreatment option. Advanced Plating Technologies provides flexible pretreatment with our powder coating services including chromate conversion coatings, iron phosphate conversion coatings, vapor degreasing and mechanical etching of the substrates based upon your specifications.
- Any Powder, Any Manufacturer, Any Resin, Any Color: You name the powder, our company can source it! We provide powder coating services with any manufacturer’s powder and are experts in the various resin systems available. We offer polyester, epoxy, urethane and hybrid systems in gloss, flat and wrinkle finishes from each of the main manufactures.
- Pick a Substrate, Any Substrate: Our company offers powder coating services with low cure powders for delicate materials such as lead or soldered assemblies and offer multiple conversion coatings to enhance the corrosion performance and durability of our powder coats on materials such as aluminum, zinc and steel.
- One Stop Shop: Advanced Plating Technologies offers polishing, plating and passivation finishes to complement our powder coating services all within our Milwaukee, Wisconsin facility. If you have been looking for a finisher that can handle all of your finishing needs in one location, we can help!
- RoHS and REACH Compliance: Advanced Plating Technologies is at the forefront of environmental compliance and can certify our powder coating services as needed to the current RoHS, ELV and REACH regulations.
Reliable Lead Times: With inventories leaner than ever, dependable turn-around is a core company value to ensure the service our customers need in powder coating services.
- Value Added: Our company prides itself in meeting customer needs. Whether it’s custom engineering packaging, Kanban inventory management, light subassembly or multiple finishing combinations – APT will work with you to ensure we meet your needs in powder coating services.
- Extensive in House Analytical and Quality Lab Services: SPC is employed in all analytical work surrounding our powder coating services. Our QC lab employs the latest technologies including Datapaq cure validation, mil thickness measurement, adhesion testing to ASTM D3359 and in-house salt spray testing to ASTM B117. Our powder coating services can be certified as need to most company specific specifications.